Sushma Swaraj was born on 14 February 1952 (age 67 years old; 1952 to 2019). She was an Indian politician and a Supreme Court leader. She is best known for her designation as Minister of External Affairs. On 6 August 2019, Sushma Swaraj reportedly suffered a cardiac arrest and at AIIMS Delhi, later she died. Check out more about late Sushma Swaraj from here.
Sushma Swaraj Wiki
Let’s gain some quick information from the table.
|Real Name:||Sushma Swaraj|
|Known for:||1. Minister of External of External Affairs in the Union of India.|
|Profession:||Indian Politician, Supreme Court Lawyer|
|Political Party:||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)|
|Date of Birth/Dob:||14 February 1952|
|Age:||67 years old (1952- 2019)|
|Birthplace:||Ambala Cantt, Punjab, India|
|Death Date:||6 August 2019|
|Death Place:||AIIMS Delhi|
|Height (Approx):||in centimeter: 149 cm
in meter: 1.49 m
in feet inches: 5' 0"
|Weight (Approx):||in kilograms: 62 Kg
in pounds: 137 lbs
|Education Qualification:||Bachelor Degrees in Sanskrit and Political Science,
Degree of law from Punjab University, Chandigarh
|Children:||Daughter: Bansuri Swaraj|
|Hometown:||Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Favorite Food:||Golgappe, Kachori, Aloo Parathas|
|Favorite Politician:||Narendra Modi, Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Net worth:||6 Crore INR|
Also, read this, Amit Shah
Sushama Swaraj was born into the middle-class family of Amabal Cantt of Punjab. She belongs to the political background as her father was a prominent member of RSS, Her family hails from the Dharampura area of Lahore, Pakistan. She did her schooling and earned a Bachelor degree in Sanskrit Language and Political Science.
Furthermore, She studied law from Punjab University, Chandigarh. In 1973, Swaraj started practicing as the advocate in the Supreme Court of India. Also, She actively participated in the political form 1970. Sushama Swaraj was active in politics since 1977 to 2019.
Her major political success was from 1997 when she became a member of Haryana Legislative Assembly. Moreover, the Modi government has appointed her as the Minister of External Affairs of India. She got awarded the many times in parliament for the political good presence.
On 6th August 2019, She died into the AIIMs Delhi due to cardiac arrest.
Sushma Swaraj Age
She was born on February 14, 1953, in Ambala city of Haryana state, India. The age of Sushma Swaraj is 67. Furthermore, she belonged to a freedom fighter’s family background and followed the Hindu religion.
Sushma Swaraj Family Background and Education
Her born name was Sushma Sharma before married to advocate Kaushal Swaraj. Shushma’s parents belong to Lahore city which is currently in Pakistan.
Her father name is Hardev Sharma who was a member and full-time volunteer of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh aka RSS wing. And, her mother Shrimati Laxmi Devi was also a part of RSS movement.
Her brother named Gulshan Sharma is an Ambala-based Ayurveda doctor and sister Vandana Sharma is a political science profession at the Government College in Haryana.
She did her graduation from the Sanatan Dharma College located in Ambala district of Haryana. From the Sanatan Dharma College, Sushma completed her bachelor degree in political science stream. After that, she pursued to do post-graduation in law. Thus, she enrolled in the Punjab University from Chandigarh.
So, that was all about Sushma Swaraj’s family background and education qualifications. Let’s have a look at her early life and a young political journey.
Since childhood, Sushma had a deep interest in the culturalism and nationalism. While she was in a college, Sushma started to participate in various political movements. Meanwhile, she praised and awarded by the Haryana state for the best Hindi speaker.
On 19th February 2019, Sushama Swaraj has accepted the prestigious Grand Cross of Order of Civil Merit. The honor was conferred by the Spanish Government in recognization of India’s support in evacuating its citizen from Nepal during the earthquake in 2015.
Sushma Swaraj Husband, Marriage, and Children
On 13 July 1975, Shushma Sharma married to Kaushal Swaraj. In addition, Sushma Swaraj’s husband Swaraj Kaushal is a senior supreme court advocate.
When the couple married, it was a time of Emergency in India from 1975 to 1977. Shushma and husband Kaushal Swaraj helped George Fernandes who was a political leader during the anti-emergence movements in India.
The couple blessed with a daughter. Sushma’s daughter name is Bansuri Swaraj who graduated from Oxford University and currently serves the Inner Temple court in London as a law advocate.
Sushma Swaraj Death Cause
On 6th August 2019 late evening, Sushma Swaraj collapsed at home. After that incident, she was taken at the AIIMS Delhi where she found dead. Moreover, Shushma Swaraj’s death cause is multiple cardiac arrests.
On 7th August 2019, PM Narendra Modi, HM Amit Shah, and other political leaders remained present to pay homage to late Sri Sushma Swaraj.
- Sushma Swaraj has started her political career in 1970. She joined the Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishad. She got associated with the social leader George Fernandez and became the part of his legal defense team in 1975. After an emergency, Sushmaji joined to the Bharatiya Janata Party and became the National leader of BJP.
- From 1977 to 1982, She was a member of the Haryana Legislative Assembly from the Ambala seat. Also, Chief Minister of Delhi Devi Lal sworn her in Cabinet Minister in Party. Next, in 1979, Sushama became State President of the party in Haryana. Swaraj was just 27 years old at that time. During 1987 to 1990, She was the Education Minister of Haryana.
- In October 1988, She resigned from the Union Cabinet to take over as First Female Chief Minister of Delhi. Later in December, She resigned from the position.
- In April 1990, She was elected as the Member of Rajya Sabha and remained the position until 1996, In that year, Sushma Swaraj was elected to the 11th Lok Sabha from South Delhi Constituency. In 1996, Sushmaji held the position of Union Cabinet Minister for Information and Broad Casting during the 13-day government of PM Atal Bihari Bajpayee.
- Also, in the next 12th Lok Sabha election, Sushama won the seat from South Delhi Constituency. Sushama Swaraj was also sworn as the Union Cabinet Minister for Information and Broadcasting. She also appointed for the additional charge of Ministry of Telecommunication.
- In 2000, She returned to Parliament as a Rajya Sabha member from Uttar Pradesh. She relocated to Uttarakhand after the new state declaration. From 2000-2003, Sushama Swaraj was induced as the Union Cabinet minister of Information and Broadcasting.
- In 1999, Shushmaji contested in 13 Lok Sabha constituency against Sonia Gandhi from Bareilly.
Career from 2003
- After NDA lost the election, She was a Minister of Health, Family Welfare, and Parliamentary affairs. She was re-elected as the Rajya Sabha member in 2006 from Madhya Pradesh State. Moreover, She served as the Deputy Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha till 2009.
- In general election of 15th Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj won the Vidhisha Constituency in the Madhya Pradesh. She won the election by the margin of 4,00,000 votes. During the term, She again received a charge as a Leader of Opposition in place of Lal Krishana Advani. Sushama retained the position until 2014 Indian General Election.
- Her political party got a major win in 2014 Lok Sabha Election. Sushma Swaraj again won the Vidisha Constituency in Madhya Pradesh for a second term. Moreover, She was appointed as the Minister of External Affairs in the Union Cabinet on 26 May 2014 by PM Modi government.
- She was responsible for the PM Narendra Modi’s strong foreign policy. She became the second female to hold the position after Indira Gandhi.
- Sushama Swaraj decided not to contest in 2019 Indian general election due to health reasons as she was recovering a kidney transplant and save her self from dust and stay away from infections. Dues to Sushma Swaraj’s health problem, She didn’t join the Modi Ministry of 2019.
Facts of Sushma Swaraj
- Did Sushma smoke?: No
- Did Sushma Swaraj drinks alcohol?: Not Known
- Shushma was born to a Hardev Sharma who was a full-time member of RSS Wing.
- Since childhood, she had a deep interest in politics and nationalism.
- She was graduated in political science and law from the Punjab University in Chandigarh.
- Swaraj won three consecutive awards by the Haryana government for the best Hindi speaker during her college life.
- During the 70s, she became a part of ABVP(Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad) as a student union member.
- After the arrest of social leader George Fernandes during the Emergency time, Sushma teamed up with her husband to defense George Fernandes.
- Do you know that Swaraj became the youngest minister? At the age of 25, Sushma contested the Haryana Legislative Assembly election and won the election from Ambala constituency.
- In 1998, she becomes the first female chief minister of Delhi. However, she holds the seat for just 52 days,
- During the first period of Modi Government from 2014 to 2019, Sushma served the nation as the foreign minister.
- In 2016, she was under treatment at the AIIMS Delhi for Kidney Transplant. Thus, she ended up to contest the next election.
- Before she passed away on 6th August 2019, she twitted her last twite about Article 370. You can visit her official twitter handle as well.
- On 6th August 2019, she died due to multiple cardiac arrests.
So, that was all about ex-foreign minister Sri Sushma Swaraj biography. At the end of the article, let us text your heartfelt condolences in the comment box for her.