Simona Halep is a Romanian tennis player. She got fame when she defeated Serena Williams in 2019. She has been the World No 1 position for the two times between 2017 and 2019. Simona has retained her position for the 64 weeks. It became life-changing for Simona Halep. Check out more about Athlete Simona Halep from the given full article.
Simona Halep Wiki
Let’s check out some quick info from the table.
|Real Name:||Simona Halep|
|Famous/Known for:||1. Won the 2019 Wimbledon against Serena Williams|
|Date of Birth/DOB/Born:||27 September 1991|
|Age:||28 Years Old (in 2019)|
|Height (Approx):||in centimeter: 168 cm|
in meter: 1.68 m
in feet inches: 5' 6"
|Weight (Approx):||in kilogram: 60 Kg |
in pound: 132 lbs
|Parents:||Father: Stere Halep (Soccer Player & Business)|
Mother: Tania Halep (Businesswoman)
|Boyfriend/Partner;||Name Not Known|
|Marriage Date:||Not Known|
|Education Qualification:||Undergraduate form the Universitatea, Ovidius, Constana Romania|
|School:||1. Scoala Gimnaziala Nr.30 Gheorghe Titeica, Constanța, Romania|
2. Liceul Cu Program Sportiv Nicolae Rotaru (Sports School), Constanța, Romania
|College:||Universitatea „Ovidius” din, Constanța, Romania|
|Favorite Food:||Singaporean Chicken Rice|
|Favorite Players:||Justine Henin, Andrei Pavel, and Roger Fedrer|
|Net Worth:||$25 Million (as in 2019)|
|Career Titles:||19 WTA, 6 ITF|
|Highest Ranking:||No 1 (9 October 2017)|
Also, read this, Saina Nehwal
Simona Halep is a professional tennis player from Constanta, Romania. She completed schooling from the home town. During regular schooling, Simona Halep attended the Liceul Cu Program Sportiv Nicolae Rotaru (Sports School) in Constanta.
Simona has been playing tennis since she was 4 years old. She was inspired by her brother to play tennis. She used to watch him playing tennis in her childhood. Simona started playing tennis regularly at the age of 6. Also, Simona was supported by the family to be a professional tennis player.
She started her professional career in 2008. The first time she competed for the Australian Open Junior Championship but lost. After that, She got her first win at 2008 Trofeo Bonfiglio Cup. In 2013, She got a turning point of a career with defeating World No 4 and No 1. During the time, She achieved lots of trophy and honors.
In 2017, Simona became the seventeenth player to win the World No 1 position without winning the Grand Slam Tournament in a year. Simona has been the World No 1 for two times between 2017 and 2019. She retained the position for the 64 weeks.
Simona Halep Age, Family, Boyfriend, Marriage & Religion
Simona Halep was born on 27 September 1991 (age 28 years; as in 2019). She was born into the Constanta, Romania. Her father Stere Halep is the soccer player and runs a dairy product factory. Her mother, Tania Halep is a homemaker. Simona has one brother named Nicolae Halep. She is very close to her family members and especially to her niece. She believes in Christianity and holds Aromanian nationality.
Simona is unmarried and holds a single relationship status. There is not much known about Simona Halep’s boyfriend, engagement, marriage, husband, and affair. In 2019, Simona Halep is rumored to be dating tennis player Radu Barbu.
Simona Halep Career
Simona belongs to the Aromanian Ancestry. She was born and raised into the Constanta, Romania. Halep started playing tennis at the age of 4 years with her older brother, At the age of 6, Halep started practicing regularly. At the age of 16, She moved to Bucharest to further her tennis career.
In 2008, Simona Halep started playing professionally in the junior competitions. She participated at the Australian Open Junior Championship but she lost it. Next, Her first victory was in the finals of Trofeo Bonfiglio, winning over Bojana in two sets. Next, Simona started entering in senior developmental IFT (International Tennis Federation) tournaments.
Simona won the two $10.000 tournaments in Bucharest against Elena Bogdan and Stephanie Vongsouthi. In 2009, Simona won the $50,000 in a tournament of Makarska. She attempted to qualify Grand Slam at the Roland Garros. She achieved $25,000 ‘ITF‘ tournament at Maribor. The same year, Simona won semifinals of Indoor at Minsk, Belarus, and received $50,000 ‘ITF’.
In 2009, She underwent breast reduction surgery. That time she stated that the surgery helped her be quick and agile, and helped her quick reflexes during a match. Moreover, She considers it her biggest sacrifice.
Career from 2010
In 2010, Simona participated in the Australian Open and lost it. She qualified for the Barcelona Ladies Open by winning three matches. But later she lost it by Carla Suarez. The same year. The first time she qualified for the Grand Slam main draw at French Open. Again, She defeated in the first round by the Samantha Stosur.
Next year, She reached for the quarterfinals in the ASB Classic defeating Ayumi Morita. The same year, Simona got qualified for the Rogers Cup in the Toronto and win the match with 2: 14. It became Simona’s first victory over a top-20 ranked player. Next, at the US Open, Halep Simona placed in the main draw and win in the first round. It was her victory over a top 10 ranked player.
In October 2011, Tennis Player Simona Halep participated in BGL Luxembourg Open and defeated the fourth-ranked player in straight sets. Again in 2012, She lost ‘Australian Open’ after the quarter-final. She made it to the third round of the Indian Wells Masters and the Miami Masters. Also, Simona Halep played at the Brussels Open. She shocked the former World No 1 Jelena Jankovic in the first round.
In 2013, Simona faced her second successive grand slam at the French Open. The same year, Simona Halep, achieved the match at ‘Budapest Grand Prix’ and lost the ‘Cincinnati’ Championships. During the 2013-14, Simona was the ranked NO 11 on the global list of women tennis players.
Next year, Simona achieved the promotion in her ranking and got No 7 seed. She got the rank with the ‘Sydney International’ in 2014. In 2014 ‘Australian Open’, She was the No. 11 seed. During the time, She became one of the most skilled tennis players.
Career from 2015
In 2015, Simona Halep won her ninth ‘WTA’ title at the ‘Shenzhen Open’ and her tenth title at the hardcourt event in Dubai. She got ranked the third spot in the WTA Ranking. She was one of the six seeded female players who were knocked out in the first round at ‘Wimbledon’. Simona Halep got her the second spot in the ‘WTA’ at the 2015 ‘WTA Finals’ in Singapore. It was her best year with winning three titles.
In 2016, Tennis player Simona achieved the game at the semi-finals of the Sydney tournament. She lost her first match at ‘Fed Cup’. Simona got selected for Romania’s ‘Fed Cup World Group Playoffs’. She lost to Serena Williams at the ‘US Open’ in 2016.
Tennis player Simona Halep lost the first round of the Australian Open and the second round of the ‘Shenzhen’ tournament of 2017. She got an injury and have to withdraw the ‘St. Petersburg Ladies’ Trophy. Tennis Player Simona Halep lost the final match but was seeded third at ‘French Open’ in 2017. Simona also lost at the 2017 US Open in the first round.
28 years old (as in 2019) Simona became the seventh player to achieve No. 1 rank without winning any ‘Grand Slam‘ tournaments.
Career from 2018
Tennis player Simona Halep started her season with winning the Shenzhen Open. She also won her first WTA doubles title at the tournament with partnering Begu. Also, She won 2018, French Open, after appearing for the 2 French Open Finals in her previous performances. Simona also played other tournaments but did not perform well. She ended with the World No 1 ranking for the second year in a row.
Simona started her 2019 season without a coach. Later, She eventually teamed up with Daniel Dobre as her coach. In 2019, Simona Halep took part in the Sydney Open, Australia Open, Qatar Open, Indian Wells Masters, Miami Open, and the Eastbourne International but lost all of them.
In 2019, She reached her first Wimbledon final and had to face the seven-time champion, Serena Williams. She dominated the game with a score of 6-2, 6-2 and only made 3 unforced errors. The match was over in the 56 minutes and won the first Wimbledon title.
Simona became the first Romanian player to win at Wimbledon.
Awards & Achievements
- ESPN Center Court’s Most Improved Player in 2013
- Women’s Tennis Association’s Most Popular Player of the Year Award in 2013.
- Most clicked player on the WTATennis.com in 2014 and 2015.
- Cetatean de Onoare (Honorary Citizen) Honour in 2018 by the city of Bucharest, Romania.
- WTA’s Most Improved Player of the Year 2013.
- WTA’s Player of the Year Award in 2018.
- ITF World Champion for the year 2018.
Moreover, Simona Halep is the first Romanian player to win a senior Wimbledon singles titles.
- Simona’s first coach from an early age was Loan Stan. He is a local tennis coach in Constanta.
- She was also coached by the Adrian Marcu, Andrei Mlendea, and Firicel Tomai.
- In 2014, Simona Halep hired Belgian coach Wim Fissette. Wim was the former coach of tennis players Kim Clijsters and Sabine Lisicki.
- Next year, Simona Halep hired the famous Romanian coach Victor Lonita with Thomas Hogstedt serving as a coaching consultant for the first three tournaments of the year.
- In November 2015, Halep announced that Darren Cahill would be her full-time coach, starting in January 2016.
- At the end of 2018. Cahill announced that he would off take 2019 off from coaching.
- Also, In February 2019, Simona Halep hired Thierry Van Cleemput as her new tennis coach, a Romanian coach will whom she had worked before.
$25 million (as in 2019)
Simona Halep owns multiple luxurious cars. She owns a Mercedes AMG C 63S Cabriolet, Mercedes GLE 450 AMG, a Mercedes CLS AMG, a Porsche 911 Carrera GTS, (which she won in the WTA Finals), and Range Rover.
Simona has endorsed many popular brands including clothing lines and sports wears. Currently, She is a clothing sponsor of Nike and has signed the contract in February 2018. Halep had apparel supplied by the Adidas.
Before 2014, Simona’s apparel was provided by Lacoste and shoes by Nike. In November 2014, She signed a deal with Vodafone Romania for three years. She also endorsed the Hublot watches since 2016. Simona is a brand ambassador for Mercedes-Benz Romania.
Some facts of Simona Halep
- Does Simona smoke?: No
- Does Simona drinks alcohol?: Not Known
- Simona’s hometown is in Constanta in Romania, But she moved to Romania’s capital city, Bucharest, at the age of 16 to focus on her training.
- Simona exercises regularly and very strict about it. She also stated that a minimum of 1 hour of exercise is a must for her, but she never lifts the weight, as she does not want her body to get bulky.
- Once in the interview, Simona stated that grew up idolizing Justine Henin and Andrei Pavel. Although Roger Federer is one of her favorites, he is not her idol.
- In an interview, Simona stated that She is a very shy person. She calls herself an introvert. She used to hate being in front of people. Also, she used to warm up alone before a match or training; as she did not want people to see her.
- She feels that if she was taller, Simona would have been better in her playing skills. Also, She considers herself short for the game of tennis. Moreover, Simona is the shortest person to win the Wimbledon title.
- Simona has described her playing style as being ‘an aggressive baseliner’. Also, she stated that she models her game on Justine Henin.
- In 2010, before her breakthrough, New York Times columnist Michale Kimmelman described Halep as a ‘crappy player from Romania, short but with potent groundstrokes and a scramblers talent’.
- She is one of an aggressive counterpuncher in terms of tennis strategy.
- Simona is very conscious about her fitness and her fitness coach is Teo Carcel.
- Simona Halep is a very popular athlete on social media and the internet. She regularly updates her achievements and her beautiful photos on Instagram and Facebook.
- Her official Instagram is ‘simonahalep‘ and official Facebook is ”.