Saina Nehwal is a professional Indian Badminton singles player. She has won more than 24 international level titles. She also owns the honor of the first Indian woman to achieve world rank one by the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
Saina received an honor of the fourth highest civilian award ‘Padma Sri’ in 2010 and third highest civilian award ‘Padma Bhushan’ in 2016 by the Government of India. Saina Nehwal is only Indian to win a medal in all three BWF major events including Olympics, BWF World Junior Championship and BWF World Championship.
Also, in 2019 she received fourth national championship title at Senior National Badminton Championship. Know more about Saina Nehwal Age, Height, Weight, Biography, Badminton, Achievement, Husband, Family, Awards, Family & much more.
Saina Nehwal Wiki
Let’s take a quick look from player Saina Nehwal Wiki table
|Real Name:||Saina Harvirsingh Nehwal|
|Famous Name:||Saina Nehwal|
|Profession:||Professional Badminton Player|
|Date of Birth:||17 march 1990|
|Age:||29 years old (in 2019)|
|Birthplace:||Hisar, Harayana, India|
|Height (Approx):||in centimeter: 168 cm|
in meter: 1.68 cm
in feet inches: 5' 6"
|Weight (Approx):||in kilograms: 65 kg|
in pounds: 143 lbs
|Figure measurements (Approx):||34-26-34|
|Husband:||Parupalli Kashyap (m.2018 present)|
|Family:||Father: Harvir Singh Nehwal (Scientist),|
Mother: Usha Nehwal,
Sister: Abu Chandranshu Nehwal
|Hometown:||Hisar, Haryana, India|
|Favorite Food:||Aloo Paratha|
|Favorite Actor:||Mahesh Babu, Shah Rukh Khan|
|Favorite Athletes:||Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar|
Tennis Player: Roger Federer
Also, read this, Actress Shraddha Kapoor
Saina Nehwal Biography
Saina Nehwal was born on 17 March 1990 (age 29 years old; as in 2020) into a family of Hisar, Haryana, India. She was inspired to become a badminton player. Saina and her family shifted from Haryana to Hyderabad due to her father’s job transfer. Her mother is a big fan of a tennis player Steffi Graff. Saina Nehwal is also known by the name of Steffi Saina which often called by her mother.
After moving to Hyderabad, Saina Nehwal has started playing badminton to full fill her mother’s dream to become a national level player of badminton. From the very little age, she achieved huge success in badminton at the age of 16. She became the first Indian woman and the youngest player from Asia to win a four-star tournament.
Saina has achieved huge success in her badminton career and received various honors like Arjuna Award in 2009, Padma Shree in 2010, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2010 and Padma Bhushan in 2016 from the government of India.
Also, she is opening a badminton academy in her native state Haryana with a motive to inspire the youth of India. Also, Actress Shraddha Kapoor is going to play the role of her in the biopic Saina Nehwal.
Saina Nehwal Family, Husband, Boyfriend, Cast
Saina Nehwal was born into a middle-class family of Hissar, Haryana, India. Her father Harvir Singh Nehwal is a scientist and her mother Usha Nehwal is a homemaker. She has one elder sister named Abu Chandranshu Nehwal who used to play Volley Ball.
She shifted to Hyderabad when she was 5 years old due to her father’s job. Her father was a top player in the university circuit. Also, he used his provident fund to provide good training for her. She and her family believe in Hinduism and they are Hindu Jat by a cast.
Saina got married to her longtime boyfriend cum Badminton player Parupalli Kashyap on 14th December 2014 into a private ceremony held in Hyderabad.
Saina was born into a Hissar, Haryana, India. She did her primary schooling from the Campus School, Hissar; Bharatiya Vidhya Bhavan Public School, Hyderabad; National Institute of Rural Development (NIRD) School, Hyderabad: and St. Ann’s College for Women, Hyderabad. After moving to Hyderabad from the native Haryana, Saina started playing badminton due to her mother’s inspiration.
Saina has started playing badminton at the age of 8 years under the guideline of an Indian Badminton Coach S. M. Arif. She also received training from the famous coach Pullela Gopichand, Nani Prasad Rao, and Vimal Kumar.
Saina did her first appearance in 2005 through Asian Satellite Badminton Tournament and became an under 19 national champion that year, Moreover, she became a second-time winner of the same tournament, holding a record of the first woman to do so.
In 2008, she became the first Indian to win the World Junior Badminton Championship. Following the year 2009, Saina became the first Indian to win the BWF Super Series title.
Since there, Saina Nehwal won several titles as a professional badminton player including national and international tournaments. In January 2014, Nehwal defeated world championship bronze medalist PV Sindhu in Women’s single of India Open Grand Prix Gold Tournament.
The same year, she became a first Indian Woman to win the title of China Open Super Series Premier by beating Japan’s Akane Yamaguchi.
Career from 2015 to present
In 2015, Saina Nehwal won maiden women’s
In 2017, she won the 82nd national badminton championship by beating P. V, Sindhu. At the 2018 Asian Games, she made history through winning the first Asian Badminton Medal for India by a woman. She achieved a rear feat by winning the awards from various badminton tournaments including Olympics, World Championship tournaments, The Commonwealth Games, Asian Championships and Asian Games.
In 2019, Saina Nehwal achieved a fourth national title by defeating national level bronze medalist badminton player P. V. Sindhu.
In January 2020, world number one badminton player Saina Nehwal joined the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party). She took the membership of the party from Delhi.
Records Achieved By Nehwal
- In 2006, Saina became the first player to win the Asian Satellite Badminton Tournament twice.
- Also in the same year of 2006, she became the first Indian woman and youngest Asian Player to win the 4 star Philippines Open Tournaments.
- In 2008, Saina Nehwal became the first woman to reach the quarter-finals at the Olympics Games.
- She achieved the honor to be the first Indian to win the World Junior Badminton Championship.
- In 2009, Saina became the first Indian to win the title of BWF (Badminton World Federation) Super Series.
- In 2010, she became the first Indian women to reach the semi-finals of the 2010 All England Super Series.
- Saina Nehwal became the first Indian singles players to reach the final of the BWF Super Series Master Finals.
- In 2014, she became the first Indian women to win the China Super Open Series.
- In 2015, Saina became the first Indian women badminton player to reach the finals of the All England Open Badminton Championships.
- Moreover the same year of 2015, she became the first Indian women badminton player to be ranked world number one in the Badminton World Federation in Women’s Singles.
- In 2018, she became the first Indian women badminton player to win the Asian badminton medal for India.
- In 2019, she got success to achieve a first BWF Super 500 title.
Awards and Achievements
Saina Nehwal is a professional badminton player. She has achieved huge success with her skills and received several awards & numerous titles.
- Bronze Medal at Commonwealth Games in Melbourne
- Achieved a Four Star badminton Philippines Open Tournament held at Pasig City, Manila
- Won the Philippines Open Grand Prix
- Gold Medal at National Games in Guwahati
- Won the Chinese Taipei Open Grand Prix Gold
- Won the World Junior Badminton Championship Tournament in Pune
- Most Promising Player of the Year Awarded by the Badminton World Federation (BWF)
- Won the Indonesia Open tournament at Jakarta
- Arjuna Award received by Government of India
- Won the Singapore Open Super Series in Lion City
- Won the Yonex Sunrise Indian Open Tournament in Chennai, India
- Bronze Medal at Asian Badminton Championships held in New Delhi, India
- Won the Indian Open Grand Prix
- Silver Medal in Mixed Team Event at Commonwealth Games in Delhi
- Gold Medal at Commonwealths in Delhi
- Won the Hong Kong Open Badminton Super Series
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
- Padma Shri Award
- Won the Swiss Open Tournament in Basel
- Won the Swiss Open tournament in Basel
- Won the Indonesia Super Series in Jakarta
- Bronze Medal at London Olympics in Women’s singles
- Won Denmark Open Super Series in Odense
- An honorary doctorate degree by Mangalayatan University
- Bronze medal at Asian Games
- Won the Australian Badminton Open Super Series
- Won the China Super Series Premier
- Won the India Super Series held in New Delhi
- Silver Medal at World Championships in Jakarta
- Won the Australian Badminton Open Super Series in Sydney
- An honorary doctorate degree in Literature by SRM University
- Padma Bhusan Award
- Won the Malaysia Masters tournaments
- Bronze Medal at World Badminton Championships in Glasgow
- Gold Medal at Commonwealth Games in Women’s singles
- Gold Medal in badminton mixed team event at Commonwealth Games
- Bronze Medal at Asian Badminton Championships
- Won the first BWF Super 500 title as Indonesia Masters
- Received 4th National Badminton Championship title
Some interesting things about Saina Nehwal
Does Saina Nehwal smoke?: No
Does Saina Nehwal drinks alcohol?: No
Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar has gifted BMW after Saina won the Olympic Gold Medal in 2012.
She is a huge fan of Roger Federer and Sachin Tendulkar.
Moreover, Saina Nehwal is a philanthropist and was ranked 18th o the most charitable athletes’ list.
In 2012, Saina Nehwal’s Auto Biography Playing to Win: My Life On and Off Court was released.
Also in 2012, Saina Nehwal signed a deal of endorsement worth ₹400 million with the famous sports management company Rhiti Sports but in 2013, she ended the deal with a company and signed with KWAN Entertainment & Marketing Solutions.
She also featured in the cover photo of the several popular magazines like Femina, Women’s Health and etc.
Saina Nehwal is also a member of the International Olympics Committee’s (IOC) Aesthetes Commissions.
She appeared on many popular television shows like The Kapil Sharma Show, Satyamev Jayate, Comedy Nights With Kapil and Kanpur Wale Waale Khuranas.
Saina Nehwal has endorsed many popular brands like Edelweiss Group, Fortune Cooking Oil, Emami, Vaseline, Godrej No Marks, Huawei Honor Smartphone, Star Sports, NECC, Indian Overseas Bank, Herbalife Nutritions, Yonex, Iodex, Sahara Group, Top Ramen Noodles, Savelon,
At Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University in Hisar: Furthermore, Saina Nehwal Institute of Agricultural Technology, Training & Education named after her.
Saina Nehwal is an animal lover and used to play with the dog during free time.