Dr. Sunitha Krishnan is a famous social activist in India. She is best known for her work in the area of anti-human trafficking and social policy. In 2016, Sunitha is awarded by the Padma Shri. Moreover, She runs ngo called ‘Prajwala’. Check out more about Dr Sunitha Kishnana from the given article.
Dr Sunitha Krishnan Wiki
Let’s read quick biodata from the given table.
|Real Name:||Dr Sunitha Krishnan|
|Known for:||Co-founder of ngo Prajawala|
|Political Party:||Not Known|
|Date of Birth/Dob:||23 May 1969|
|Age (approx):||50 years old (as in 2019)|
|Birthplace:||Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
|Education Qualification:||1. Master of Social Work|
|College:||1. St. Joseph College, Bangalore|
2. Yenepoya University, Mangalore, Karnataka
|Parents:||Mother: Nalini Krishnan |
Father: Raju Krishnan
|Husband:||Rajesh Touchriver (Indian Film Director)|
|Hobbies:||Reading Books, Travelling,|
|Favorite Food:||Indian Food|
|Favorite Actor:||Amitabh Bachchan|
|Net worth:||1 Crore INR|
Also, read this, B Ramana Rao
Sunitha Krishnan was born and brought up into the Malayalam family of Bangalore. She did her schooling in Andhra Pradesh and graduation from Bangalore and Mangalore. Since her childhood, Sunitha Krishnan always wanted to work for society.
At the age of 8 years, Sunitha Krishnan started dance training for the mentally challenged children. Moreover, She opened a small school for the kids of the slum area at the age of 12 years. She used to teach by continuing her studies too.
An incident at the age of 15 changed her life when she was working on a neo-literacy camp for the Dalit society. She was raped by a gang of 8 men. Due to that, one of her ears got damaged partially.
She never gave up and continued her social work. In 2016, She awarded as a Padma Shri by the Indian government. Dr Sunitha Krishnan also started NGO titled ‘Prajwala‘ which works for the rescue and rehabilitation of women-girls trafficked.
Sunitha Krishnan Age, Family, Husband, Caste & Religion
Sunitha Krishnan was born on 23 May 1969 (age 50 years old; as in 2019). She was born into the Palakkad Malayali family of Mumbai. She spent her childhood with her family in Andhra Pradesh and Bangalore. Her father’s name is Raju Krishnan and he was an employee in the department of the survey, India. Her mother’s name is Nalini Krishnan. Sunitha Krishnan is very close to her family.
There is not much information available about her siblings or other family members. She follows Hinduism and holds Indian nationality. In addition, She is palakkad malyali by caste.
Dr Sunitha Krishnan married to Rajesh Touchriver. Her husband Rajesh Touchriver is a talented filmmaker, production designer, and scriptwriter.
Early Life & Career
Dr Sunitha Krishnan was born and brought up into palakkad malayali family. She did her schooling from the Kendriya Vidyalaya Waltair, Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. For further study, She went to Bangalore. She also got enrolled in St. Joseph’s College Bangalore. She completed her education in the Master of Social Work.
Sunitha Krishnan was very passionate about social working for the welfare of society. At the age of 8, She started dance training for the mentally challenges kids. Additionally, She opened a small school for the kids of slum areas who couldn’t afford proper education.
At the age of 15, one incident in her life has changed her life while she was working with the neo-literacy camp for the Dalit society. She was raped by a gang of 8 people brutally. Moreover, They hit her so hard that, She became partially deaf in one year.
Due to the incident, Sunita went into depression and got shattered. However, She gathered her all energy and took that incident as a source of motivation. After that, Sunitha Krishnan has decided to work for women-welfare and especially for rape victims in India.
At that time, Her parents did not contend with her lifestyle, So she moved to Hyderabad and joined the People’s Initiative Network (PIN) in Hyderabad.
Career from 1996
In 1996, Sunitha helped sex workers living in Mehboob ki Mehandi, a red light area in Hyderabad. She also started a transition school at the vacated brothel to prevent the second generation from being trafficked. Moreover, Her organization ‘Prajwala‘ has rescued and saved more than 12,000 survivors of sex-trafficking.
Also in 2003, She gave recommendations for rehabilitation of victims of sex trafficking in Andhra Pradesh. Moreover, It became the policy for the Rescue & Rehabilitation of victims of trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation by the state government. In addition, other states such as Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi re now taking cues from her strategies.
In 2011, Dr. Sunitha Krishnan appointed as the advisor for the Government of Kerala’s Nirbhaya policy. She also appointed as a member of the Andhra Pradesh State women’s commission. Furthermore, She did contribution to India’s new bill on rape which was passed in parliament in 2013.
Currently, Dr. Sunitha Krishnan is working with Prajwala. It has more than 200 active employees. In addition, She works in the Prajwala organization as a full-time volunteer. As her husband is a filmmaker, They had made several films in collaboration with Prajwala.
Apart from all this, Sunitha Krishnan has also given a speech at a national and international level for awareness in social life. In 2019, She featured on the special television show Karamveer of ‘Kaun Banega Crorepati‘ along with actress Anushka Sharma.
Awards & Honors
Throughout her career, She has been working for society and needy people. As a result, She received a number of awards and honors at the national and international levels. Moreover, some of her awards listed here.
- Featured on the list of the 11 Human Rights Activist whose Life mission is to provide others with the dignified life.
- Awarded as a Padma Shri for social work which is the fourth Highest Civilian Award by the government of India. (2016)
- Tallberg Global Leadership Prize
- Mother Teresa Awards for Social Justice (2014)
- People of the Year award from LIMCA Book of records (2014)
- Outstanding Woman Award, National Commission for Women (2013)
- Women In Excellence Award, SHE foundation (2012)
- Akruthi Woman of the Year Award, Rotary International, 2011
- Human Rights Award, Vital Voices Global Partnership, Washington DC (2011)
- Tejaswini Award, FICCI (2010)
- Gangadhar Humanitarian Award, Kerela (2010)
- Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report Heros from the US Department of States, 2009
- CNN-IBN Real Hero Award, Reliance Foundation, 2008
- Perdita Huston International Award for Human Rights, United Nations of Capital Hill, Washington DC 2006
- Stree Shakti Puraskar, Government of India (2003)
- Ashoka Fellowship (2002)
Facts of Dr. Sunitha Krishnan
- Sunitha has saved more than 22,000 women and girls from sexual trafficking.
- While struggling for the ‘Prajwala’, She had to sell all of her jewelry and even most of her household utensils.
- Her organization ‘Prajawala’ stands upon the five pillars like prevention, rescue, rehabilitation, reintegration, and adversity.
- Dr Sunitha Krishnan’s husband Rajesh Touchriver has released many movies with Prajwala. Additionally. some of the movies are Mein Aur Meri Sanchaien, Bhagnagar, Also, The Sacred Face, Me & Us, A Chance to Live, Building Bridges and Naa Bangaru Talli.
- Her movie Naa Bangaru Talli was in Telugu Language and released in 2013. It has received 5 international awards including Best Feature Film Award at Trinity International Film Festival, USA and Award of Excellence from IFFCRM, Indonesia.
- Sunitha was born as a disabled child, her legs were turned back, but with regular physiotherapy sessions, she was able to walk properly.
- In 2019, She appeared on the special episode ‘Karmaveer‘ of Kaun Banega Crorepati 11 along with her husband Rajesh Touchriver.
- Dr. Sunitha Krishnan is a very active personality on social media like Facebook and Twitter. Moreover, She regularly updates her profile and regular posts photos and messages.